Publisher's Pledge to the Library Community
As an academic publisher, we understand our role in the information ecology, and respect the roles of academics and librarians in the same ecological system. To clarify our understanding of our place in that system, we offer the following pledge to the library community:
1. We recognize the free speech rights of librarians, and respect the fact that criticizing a publisher is sometimes part of a librarian's professional duty. We will not sue librarians for criticizing us.
2. We will attempt to make money by selling books, not by charging authors fees to publish.
3. We will price our titles reasonably, so that individuals as well as institutions can afford to buy them.
4. We will always use acid-free, sustainably-sourced paper.
5. Our books will include bibliographic references and indexes where appropriate.
6. Contributors of chapters in edited volumes will maintain all their rights (the rights we license from them will be non-exclusive).
7. We pledge to balance timeliness, quality, and "timelessness" in our choice of book projects and our processes for bringing them to publication.
8. We pledge to make our full backlist available as DRM-free PDF files to personal and institutional members of Library Juice.
9. We will explore e-book publishing models with a creative approach and an effort to respond to the new logics of changing media, with the interests of scholars and librarians in mind.